There is a feature in Perforce, which allows the command line client
(p4) to find its configuration file (.p4rc) by looking up the current
directory and any directory above it in recursive order, stopping at
the first one that has a .p4rc file in it. If that fails, it falls
back to the one in the user's home directory (if there is one).

It is a feature that I implemented in one of my applications recently
(Kelp).

It is a feature that I would absolutely love to have: I develop for
several projects following different indentation styles and
visualisation rules.

I know there is a convention of putting a vi comment line at the
beginning of a file to indicate what options to use for that file, but
that is not feasible on a large scale.

I am about to embark in developing such feature for vim and will make
it available as a patch, if there isn't one already available.

--
Cheers,
Filippo