On 24/01/09 12:25, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Dominique Pelle wrote:
[...]
>> Notice also the FIXME comment in the attached patch:  shouldn't
>> E118 and E740 error message be the same error message?
>> See how similar they are:
>>
>> "E740: Too many arguments for function %s"
>> "E118: Too many arguments for function: %s"
>>
>> I then entered the following command to see whether they
>> are other dupes in the translated messages and found
>> the following:
[...]
> Even though these messages have the same text, they are still different
> errors.  In a try/catch you can use the error number to distinguish
> them.

Also, their different error numbers refer to different places in the
help, with more or less different explanations.

Bram: If the Vim code tries to translate "E123: Some error", will it try
"Some error" if nothing starting "E123" is found? If it does, we could
use a single translate string for two or more error merssages, and the
error number would still be there.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
REPORTER: Senator, are you for or against the MX missile system?

SENATOR: Bob, the MX missile system reminds me of an old saying that
the country folk in my state like to say.  It goes like this: "You can
carry a pig for six miles, but if you set it down it might run away."
I have no idea why the country folk say this.  Maybe there's some kind
of chemical pollutant in their drinking water.  That is why I pledge to
do all that I can to protect the environment of this great nation of
ours, and put prayer back in the schools, where it belongs.  What we
need is jobs, not empty promises.  I realize I'm risking my political
career be being so outspoken on a sensitive issue such as the MX, but
that's just the kind of straight-talking honest person I am, and I
can't help it.
                -- Dave Barry, "On Presidential Politics"