On 18-Apr-2010 Gregor Uhlenheuer <kongo2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 04:33 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > I will try to include a few patches that have been pending for a while.
> > I don't have much time available, thus I will only include things that
> > take a few hours of my time.  That basically means patches that are
> > ready to be included.
> >

> Hi,
>
> a few months ago I posted an updated patch for the margincolumn
> feature that actually allows you to highlight a specified column (i.e.
> to show the current buffer's textwidth). Since then I kept updating it
> and use it without any problems.
>
> The patch for vim-7.2.411 is attached.
>
> Cheers,
> Gregor

I like the feature very much. However, I used the version of the patch
which called it 'guidecolumn'. I can remember an argument that
'guidecolumn' is not a good name because it would be confusing to get
the option when trying to complete ":help gui". But in the same manner
isn't it confusing that ":help win" completes both the functions for
window interaction and features related to the Windows OS?

I prefer 'guidecolumn' to 'margincolumn' and feel that the former name
better reflects what the option is about since other editors allegedly
call it guide lines. Try searching the web for images of "Visual Studio
margin line" (no hits in the first 40 results) vs "Visual Studio guide
line" (I got 6 hits among the first 8 images; don't feel like checking
the first 40 results).

--
Cheers,
Lech