Jjgod Jiang wrote (a long time ago):

> >> Running vim under Mac OS X terminal do not support copy to/from
> >> system clipboard currently, this patch add this feature. To have
> >> this feature in mainstream, we receive the following benifits:
> >>
> >> 1. We can copy from/to system clipboard without running GUI.
> >> =A0 =A0(Default vim builds shipped with Mac OS X do not have GUI
> >> =A0 =A0 enabled, so it can share this feature.)
> >> 2. We don't need to duplicate code in GUI implementations like
> >> =A0 =A0MacVim or vim-cocoa.
> >>
> >> The clipboard handling code is derived from MacVim.
> >>
> >> To use Cocoa APIs, we need to convert os_macosx.c into an Obj-C
> >> file. Other changes are trivial.
> >
> > A few remarks were made after this patch was submitted, but I don't
> > think I ever saw an updated patch. =A0Is it still coming?
>
> I made the remark that it would be "nicer" to use the C-API (Core
> Foundation) to implement Copy/Paste instead of converting os_macosx.c
> to an Objective-C file and then using the MacVim Copy/Paste code which
> uses the Objective-C API (Foundation).
>
> It would not be very difficult to write such a patch but I don't think
> anybody ever volunteered to do it.  The advantages of rewriting the
> patch are mostly aesthetic -- the functionality would be identical.
> If you Bram can live with that then I think it is safe to merge this
> patch (here is one of the problems though: since the patch renames a
> whole file it is a bit tricky to review -- I believe it is fine but
> have not checked it myself).  If you would prefer not to use
> Objective-C then it is possible to rewrite it using only C.
>
> What would you prefer Bram?

I don't know enough about the advantages and disadvantages.  I think at
least the issues with block mode should be fixed.  Otherwise one can
just as well use the clipboard throught the terminal, right?

When going with Objective-C, would there be disadvantages?  Some people
who can't build the binary?  Does the executable become bigger?  More
dependencies on libraries?

--
You got to work at a mill?  Lucky!  I got sent back to work in the
acid-mines for my daily crust of stale bread... which not even the