On 16 July 2010 14:52, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, björn wrote:
>
> As long as you're adding MouseScroll{Left,Right,Up,Down}, would this be
> a good time to reverse the naming?  (The oddity that <MouseUp> indicates
> pushing the scrollwheel toward the bottom of the mouse [i.e.  down]?)
>
> So, where 'wheel' indicates a standard scrollwheel or the
> supermouse-like trackball:
>
> <MouseScrollUp>  (Same as <MouseDown>) (pressing up on 'wheel')
> <MouseScrollDown>  (Same as <MouseUp>) (pressing down on 'wheel')
> <MouseScrollLeft>                      (pressing left on 'wheel')
> <MouseScrollRight>                     (pressing right on 'wheel')
>
> [probably too confusing, and too late, but just a thought]

I don't think this is a bad idea.  Are there any objections?

I just checked and with the patch <MouseLeft> is generated when you
swipe your finger to the right on a trackpad (in line with the
inverted up/down movement).  This feels weird...

> And another idea:
>
> I don't have a mouse that supports horizontal scrolling, so I tried (but
> failed -- see other thread) to test this using mappings similar to many
> graphics editors, where shift+vertical-scroll is translated to
> horizontal scrolling.  (IIRC, it's usually rotated 90-degrees CCW:
> up=left, down=right)
>
> e.g.:
>
> map <S-MouseUp> <MouseLeft>
> map <S-MouseDown> <MouseRight>
>
> ...err, never-mind.  I was going to suggest that those be default
> mappings, but I just discovered Shift+ is already used to mean 'a full
> page' -- :help <S-MouseUp>.

Actually, on the Mac the Shift key is not used since when a "scroll
wheel" event arrives you also get to know "how much" the wheel has
moved and I use this to decide how many lines to scroll.

Is this sort of behavior available on other platforms?  If so, I think
it is preferable over having to hold down a key to control how much to
scroll.  I could submit another patch which includes the relevant code
from MacVim.

Björn