On 19 July 2010 15:45, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, björn wrote:
>>
>> Ok, here is the updated patch.  I've renamed the keys as follows:
>>
>> <ScrollWheelUp>
>> <ScrollWheelDown>
>> <ScrollWheelLeft>
>> <ScrollWheelRight>
>>
>> These all scroll the _window_ in the direction indicated.  So if I
>> push UP on my scroll wheel, the window moves up but the lines are
>> actually scrolled down (this is the most intuitive way of thinking
>> about scrolling in my opinion).  Similarly, dragging my finger to the
>> LEFT on a laptop's trackpad scrolls the window to the left but the
>> columns are actually scrolled right.
>
> Looks good to me.  With the Ctrl+scrollwheel changes, I was able to test
> this by mapping <C-ScrollWheel{Up|Down}> to <ScrollWheel{Left|Right}>
> and it seems to work fine in both term and GTK2.
>
> The only thing I might change would be the symmetry of using 3 for the
> default increment.  Maybe 5 or 10 would be better for horizontal
> scrolling?  (With the default, horizontal scrolling seems much slower
> than vertical scrolling.)

I increased the default number of lines to scroll to 6 -- any higher
and it was difficult to just scroll "a little" (with my track pad).
The docs have also been updated to reflect this.

>> It is still possible to use <MouseUp> as a synonym for
>> <ScrollWheelDown>, and to use <MouseDown> as a synonym for
>> <ScrollWheelUp>.  I've updated all the help docs to reflect these
>> changes.
>
> The new list of the default keys seems very cluttered with the tags
> listed all on one line.  The old layout also had the benefit of ':help
> <S-MouseUp>', etc. jumping to exactly the right line.

Sure, I tried changing it back and it seems a bit more readable that way.

The attached patch contains these minor updates.

Bram: could you indicate if there is any chance this is making it for
7.3 (or at all)?  It seems this feature would mostly be used by Mac
users (since "all" Macs have horizontal scrolling abilities) and a few
users have asked for this feature.  If you'd rather hold off merging
this patch I'll merge it with the MacVim source code so that it gets
tested properly and then you can take a look at it later.

Björn