I need to update insert.txt and provide a patch to Bram.

I have never done anything like this (on windows if it matters) and was hoping someone could give me a 5 second list of the commands (and any backup files you take first) before doing this so I know what to send to Bram.

I already pull using hg and build my own Vim if that helps with the instructions.

I figure it would be something like:
1.  Copy insert.txt to a backup location.
2.  Edit insert.txt
3.  Run some patch command against the 2 files to generate the diff.
4.  Email the new patch file to Bram.

For step 3, I have patch.exe v2.5.9 for Windows.
Just need some command line help to generate what is needed and from what directory is should be run.

Much appreciated.
Dave