On 29/07/10 22:23, David Fishburn wrote:

I need to update insert.txt and provide a patch to Bram.

I have never done anything like this (on windows if it matters) and was
hoping someone could give me a 5 second list of the commands (and any
backup files you take first) before doing this so I know what to send to
Bram.

I already pull using hg and build my own Vim if that helps with the
instructions.

I figure it would be something like:
1. Copy insert.txt to a backup location.
2. Edit insert.txt
3. Run some patch command against the 2 files to generate the diff.
4. Email the new patch file to Bram.

For step 3, I have patch.exe v2.5.9 for Windows.
Just need some command line help to generate what is needed and from
what directory is should be run.

Much appreciated.
Dave

patch is the programm you use to _apply_ a patch. To _generate_ a patch, you would need the diff program, or, as Christian said, if you use Mercurial you could use hg diff (see "hg help diff" for details).

So either (Method I, with diff):

1.
        rem start at the top of the source directory tree
        rem (the parent of src, runtime, etc)
        mkdir ..\vim73
        mkdir ..\vim73\runtime
        mkdir ..\vim73\runtime\doc
        cd ..\vim73\runtime\doc
        copy /B ..\..\..\vim\runtime\doc\insert.txt .
2.
        vim insert.txt
3.
        cd ..\..
diff -C ..\vim\runtime\doc\insert.txt runtime\doc\insert.txt > ..\insert.txt.diff
4.
        attach the resulting insert.txt.diff to an email to the vim_dev group.

Or (Method II, with Mercurial)

1.
        do nothing
2.
        hg branch vim73-tests
        cd runtime/doc
        vim insert.txt
        cd ..\..
        hg commit -m 'Proposed change to insert.txt helpfile'
        hg update -r vim73
3.
        hg diff -r . -r vim73-tests > ..\insert.txt.diff
4.
        same as above

Or (Method III, with Mercurial and the mq extension)
1,2,3,4: I don't know, you'd have to figure it out yourself.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!"