Philip Prindeville wrote:

>   Trying to cross-compile, but this breaks:
>
> checking uint32_t is 32 bits... configure: error: could not compile
> program using uint32_t.

Sorry to hear that.  This check was there for a while, I wonder why it
took so long to discover this problem.

> Note that this error message is misleading.  The program compiles just
> fine.  It simply won't run because it's built for the wrong
> architecture.
>
> Not sure if this test is even useful: if you have a <stdint.h> file
> you should trust it.  So I would check for a program including this
> header file compiling, and not bother actually running it.

Many systems don't have stdint.h, it's a recent addition from C99.
I consider C89 _the_ C language.  C99 is a mix of good things and a few
bad choices.  Especially that the semantics of strings depends on the
environment.

We had problems figuring out the type to use for 32 bit ints, that's why
this check was added.

Is't there a way to say "skip this when cross-compiling"?

--
>From "know your smileys":
 :'-D   Laughing so much that they're crying