Hello,
I read in the release notes for vim 7.3 that the amiga classic version
was deprecated. As I still use my Amiga from time to time to do some
development, and coumdn't find any other good editor for it, I decided
to prevent vim from being deprecated. However, I used the vbcc
compiler instead of the usual manx. vbcc is more modern and still
updated It allows cross-compiling from an unix machine which may be
useful, but I did this version on my amiga.

I had to make some changes to the code to get it build. Some of them
are valid ones (including <sys/stat.h> and replacing NULL with 0),
some of thems are hacks to work around VBCC bugs (the two pieces of
code I commented). So this patch needs some cleanup. I also wrote a
makefile (based on the morphOS one).

The resulting build of vim is optimized for 68040 CPU and needs an
amiga with at least kickstart 2.0. The CPU can be changed in the
makefile, however the kickstart restriction is imposed by vbcc. I
think the older builds of vim available on the homepage ran on 1.x
kickstart machines.

Anyway, here is the patch : http://pulkomandy.ath.cx/vim73_vbcc_amiga.diff

Tell me if you are interested in getting the binaries uploaded to vim
website, and if you are willing to merge this patch in vim source. If
you don't, I'll set up a web page on my own server for it.

I'm now planning to write a GUI for this version of vim, using MUI,
which is the new standard for Amiga platforms, including MorphOS,
Amiga OS 4 and AROS. I'll send you another patch when I make some
progress on that.

What is the policy on this kind of work ? Do you think I have a
chances of the new GUI getting integrated in vim, or should it live as
a patch somewhere else ?

Thanks,

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy