On 01/12/2010 12:37, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 13:28, Mike Williams
<mike.willi...@globalgraphics.com>  wrote:
On 01/12/2010 11:18, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:05, Mike Williams
<mike.willi...@globalgraphics.com>    wrote:

If the spell lists are in 7-bit ASCII then applying a Unicode to ASCII
conversion should map U+2019 to U+0027 and make spell DWIM.

What do you mean by ”applying a Unicode to ASCII conversion”?

Passing the Unicode encoded text through something like iconv to produce an
ASCII version of it.  There are standard mapping tables for the punctuation
symbols that would handle most of the general punctuation block U+2000-206F.
  For example left and right double quotes would both be mapped to the
quotation character.

Why would I want to do that?  I want my Unicode-encoded text.

I figured that you were suggesting some sort of modification of the
spelling tables.

If the spelling tables are ASCII then I am just pointing out there is a means of having Unicode encoded text spell checked against them. The spell checking code could converts the buffer contents to temporary storage before running. I imagine there will be some fun in mapping back from the temporary storage to the original buffer contents to highlight spelling issues.

I imagine this would also work for anyone else working in Unicode where the spelling checklists are not in Unicode.

There is a solution to the problem. The question is is it worth implementing? Someone who knows the spell checking code would be able to say.

Mike
--
A clean room is a sure sign of a broken computer.