On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 16:56, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 11, 1:44 am, Nikolai Weibull <n...@bitwi.se> wrote:

>> > Latin1 is a superset of ASCII. Since there are no additional quote
>> > characters in latin1, saying "Latin1 quotes" means exactly the same as
>> > ASCII quotes.
>>
>> > Apparently cp1252 DOES add some quotes. Unicode certainly does. So the
>> > distinction is ASCII/Latin1 quotes vs. cp1252/Unicode quotes.
>>
>> Why are you echoing what I already said above?
>
> I'm not echoing you. I'm trying to point out that I believe your
> conclusion is wrong even though your facts are right. You say Bram
> should have said "ASCII quotes" because they are the same as latin1
> quotes. But because they are the same, referring to them as ASCII will
> add zero clarity and in fact will decrease clarity, because if I
> understand correctly, the spell files are truly in Latin1 and not
> ASCII.

Saying “latin1 quotes” adds zero clarity.  It actually muddles the
facts, especially since cp1252 does add quotes and, again especially,
since there was some confusion about what quotes (and encoding) I
(well, Google) was using in my e-mails.

But this is a big “whatever”.  As latin1 (or, more appropriately,
iso-8859-1) is a superset of ASCII and Unicode is a superset of
latin1, then what I really care about is having support for Unicode
quotes.  Or, Unicode apostrophes, to be exact (not U+0027, but
U+2019), as it’s not ‘’’’s role as a right single quotation mark, but
as an apostrophe, that I care about.