Dear Patrick,
Your comment is not clear to me.
Help says:
"a" options results in a word selected using "Visual" is automatically
yanked to the selection register ("*).
It works.
With "a" suppressed, a "Visual" selected word is no longer yanked to
the selection buffer ("*).
It works.
Now, I see no reason why, with "a" suppressed, yanking a word to the
Unix Clipboard ("+) using "+yw (no selection) should also yank it to
the selection register.
But it is what it does.

Yes, I think like you, Jean, that it is a bug. Nothing at :help
'guiopions', :help 'clipboard', :help quotestar or :help x11-selection
suggests this strange behaviour should occur.

I do seem to remember reading something about it somewhere, but I can't
find it now. So, I could be imagining things, or it was an old bug
report I remember, or it is intended and documented somewhere....

Ben.