On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Gary Johnson <garyj...@spocom.com> wrote:

> Vim's indentation of most languages (except C) is done by plugins.
> These reside in $VIMRUNTIME/indent and are contributed and
> maintained by a number of different authors.  In the case of awk,
> the indentation plugin is $VIMRUNTIME/indent/awk.vim.  At the top of
> that file is the author's name, e-mail address, and an invitation to
> contact him with bug reports.  He would be the person to contact
> first with a bug report.
>
> I have cc'd him on this reply.

I communicated with Eric about the need to fix awk indent plugin six years ago.
Recently, Eric sent me a new version of the plugin.
He's obviously looking at it again and trying to fix it.

Unfortunately, even the new version does not work well on my large AWK
programs.  I use the standard style from "The AWK Programming Language" book by
Aho, Kernighan, and Weinberger.

I did not have motivation to further pursue the change because:

(a) I rarely write in AWK these days,
(b) I wrote my plugin which perfectly indents over 1000 lines of AWK.

I just tried Donald's program and it indents it perfectly.

Donald, can you try it and see if it works better on your other AWK programs.
It's attached.

Best regards,

        Zvezdan Petkovic