Hello, Charles!

I have elaborated a bit on the differences between my home vim version
and the current version. As a result I've found that g:netrw_winsize
was initialized by 25 in new version, diff :

  < if !exists("g:netrw_winsize")
  <  let g:netrw_winsize= ""
  < endif
  ---
  > call s:NetrwInit("g:netrw_winsize",25)

so I tried to pass << let g:netrw_winsize="" >> to my .vimrc file and
the Vex behavior turned back to normal!

Thees are the versions of  vim73/autoload/netrw.vim file.