On Apr 14, 5:28 am, Brian Victor wrote:
> It appears from my testing (with code checked out with hg today) that
> the offset parameter means different things in the netbeans insert
> command than it does in the remove command. The Vim insert and remove
> event offsets appear to match the remove command, but not the insert
> command. The objective of this email is to ask:
>
>    1) Am I correct?
>    2) If yes, is that intended?
>    3) If no, may I submit a patch to make them mean the same thing?

I get the same results running your test with clewn in debug mode. So
it seems to be a bug in the netbeans implementation of the insert
command in Vim.  A patch is welcome.

About the concern for other implementations relying on this behavior,
note that inserting a whole line does seems to work correctly.

> Here's a shell command I use to test with vim:
>
> nc -l 3219 <<END
> 1:editFile!1 "/tmp/test.txt"
> 1:insert/2 0 "This is a line of text"
> 1:remove/3 5 2
> 1:insert/4 5 "should be"
> END
>
> Since the offset is the same on the removal and the insert, I would
> expect the result to be:
>
>     This should be a line of text
>
> Instead, the result is:
>
>     This  a line of textshould be
>
> Based on other tests, it appears that the insert command is interpreting
> the offset as a line offset rather than a character offset.
>
> Given that the insert command offset is the only one that's different,
> I'd like to see it changed to match the others. However, I'm not sure if
> others are relying on the current behavior.
>
> And if nothing else, I'd like to give the doc page some love. It took me
> several hours and a few gdb sessions to figure out how to get the
> netbeans interface going, and I suspect I can save others the trouble I
> went through.
>
> --
> Brian

Xavier