It appears from my testing (with code checked out with hg today) that the offset parameter means different things in the netbeans insert command than it does in the remove command. The Vim insert and remove event offsets appear to match the remove command, but not the insert command. The objective of this email is to ask:

  1) Am I correct?
  2) If yes, is that intended?
  3) If no, may I submit a patch to make them mean the same thing?

Here's a shell command I use to test with vim:

nc -l 3219 <<END
1:editFile!1 "/tmp/test.txt"
1:insert/2 0 "This is a line of text"
1:remove/3 5 2
1:insert/4 5 "should be"
END

Since the offset is the same on the removal and the insert, I would expect the result to be:

   This should be a line of text

Instead, the result is:

   This  a line of textshould be

Based on other tests, it appears that the insert command is interpreting the offset as a line offset rather than a character offset.

Given that the insert command offset is the only one that's different, I'd like to see it changed to match the others. However, I'm not sure if others are relying on the current behavior.

And if nothing else, I'd like to give the doc page some love. It took me several hours and a few gdb sessions to figure out how to get the netbeans interface going, and I suspect I can save others the trouble I went through.

--
Brian