Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
<snip>
The hard part of supporting a given language in Vim is the first step: writing the syntax file in the first place. Once there's a relatively-complete syntax file (and most of the syntax files included in Vim are fairly mature), the changes to that syntax file are usually straightforward.

If a language adds a new keyword, it can often go into the same syntax group as the other keywords already handled. If a syntax file is highlighting something incorrectly, there's often an easy fix that can be applied. The problem is usually Vim-syntax-related rather than something that requires knowledge of the language being highlighted.
In my experience, its often _not_ straightforward (although, admittedly, sometimes it is). Also, I've received several patches that fixed an issue, but would have introduced other problems.

Of course, with languages' syntax files that are mostly just keyword lists would be straightforward to upgrade (if the upgrade only needed more keywords, that is).

Regards,
Chip Campbell