On 26-May-2012 08:01, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> Hi James!
>
> On Fr, 25 Mai 2012, James McCoy wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 07:05:49AM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
>>> Will this break typing 1v to reselect an area equal to the last
>>> visual selection, but at the new cursor position? From just below
>>> :help <LeftRelease>:
>>
>> I saw that in the docs when reviewing your patch, but I couldn't
>> actually get Vim to do what it said should happen.  1v just made Vim
>> beep at me.  So, did that actually work or am I just unable to figure
>> what needs to be done to make it work?
>
> I saw it in the code and didn't know how to trigger that code path ;)
>
> But anyhow, it should still work and I think it does.

Yes, it still seems to work, good. I still wonder about the previously noted
behavior that the previous visual selection must have been "operated on" in
order for 1v to work. (Whereas the help contradicts this: "If Visual mode is not
active and the "v", "V" or CTRL-V is preceded with a count, the size of the
*previously highlighted* area is used for a start."

So, if I understand this right, your patch allows to select [count] characters /
lines, until the visual selection has been operated on once, from then on the
existing behavior of 1v takes over, selecting a [count] multiple of the
previously operated on selection. It effectively establishes a default selection
of a single character / line from Vim start.

-- regards, ingo