Ingo Karkat wrote:

> On 26-May-2012 08:01, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > Hi James!

> >> I saw that in the docs when reviewing your patch, but I couldn't
> >> actually get Vim to do what it said should happen.  1v just made Vim
> >> beep at me.  So, did that actually work or am I just unable to figure
> >> what needs to be done to make it work?
> >
> > I saw it in the code and didn't know how to trigger that code path ;)
> >
> > But anyhow, it should still work and I think it does.
>
> Yes, it still seems to work, good. I still wonder about the previously noted
> behavior that the previous visual selection must have been "operated on" in
> order for 1v to work. (Whereas the help contradicts this: "If Visual mode is
> not
> active and the "v", "V" or CTRL-V is preceded with a count, the size of the
> *previously highlighted* area is used for a start."
>
> So, if I understand this right, your patch allows to select [count]
> characters /
> lines, until the visual selection has been operated on once, from then on the
> existing behavior of 1v takes over, selecting a [count] multiple of the
> previously operated on selection. It effectively establishes a default
> selection
> of a single character / line from Vim start.

The idea of "1v" is that a Visual operation can be repeated at another
location.  Thus the area is only stored when performing an operation.
That is different from "gv" which simply selects the same area as
before.

I'm not sure if we should change this, some scripts may depend on it and
break in mysterious ways if it is changed.  Since users only notice now
that we add a new feature, it's probably not very important to make the
change.

--
Often you're less important than your furniture.  If you think about it, you
can get fired but your furniture stays behind, gainfully employed at the