On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> We prefer using the Vim license, so that all of the runtime files can be
> distributed under the same license.  Dual-licencing, both GPL and the
> Vim license is fine (the Vim license itself is also dual-licensed with
> GPL).

Relicensing will require agreement from whoever has contributed
changes to the file which are large enough to be
copyright-significant.  Note that, before January 2010, the file was
in a different place in Git:  it was at
<crawl-ref/source/dat/levdes.vim>.

But first let's decide whether or not Vim will periodically sync with
upstream, and if so, how.

> I normally expect the author or maintainer of the file to email it to
> me.  That way it is clear what version is to be distributed.

Darshan:

Do you agree that Gitorious is a fine place for Bram to get the file from?

Bram:

The Dungeon Crawl development team is not small. The syntax file is
maintained by some team members.  I assume they want to maintain it
upstream, not in Vim.  The file changes very slowly.

It's not crucial for you to sync with upstream ever again.  The only
benefit would be that new keywords would be colored properly.  If it's
important to you, then you can do it, manually or by script.  You can
always get the latest version by HTTP at
<http://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/blobs/raw/master/crawl-ref/source/dat/vim/syntax/levdes.vim>.

A disclaimer:  I'm not on the Crawl dev team.  I just play Crawl
sometimes, and sometimes view the level files while I play.  Bram, I
didn't even discuss my idea with any Crawl dev team member before I
emailed you.