> How frustrating would it be, to set 'eventignore' to BufRead, to prevent Vim
> from doing any processing on a buffer you intend to throw away anyway, only
> to have another plugin ignore your settings and do a bunch of stuff on the
> read anyway?

How would it happen? You need explicit :e or like in :fun-defaults function
because otherwise &ei setting will be restored back before autocommand in
question has a chance to be run, no matter whether :fun-defaults function is
run from non-ignored autocmd (it cannot cover more then :autocmd body, if it
consists solely of “:call FunDefaults(…)”, much likely it will be restored
before any other :autocmd is run, otherwise it covers only nested
autocommands), plain function call/mapping/command which you for some reason
put into event-ignoring block (it is restored before you create that buffer in
this case) or such. The only case where it will happen is making :fun-defaults
function open the buffer for you. I know no examples of the code where you make
third-party (your own one can be edited and thus is your problem) function open
the buffer for you, only some of third-party processing after the buffer was
opened; and of that kind which is done without triggering autocommands, except
for a few Shell*.