On 23/01/13 22:08, Christian Brabandt wrote:
Hi Dominique!

On Mo, 21 Jan 2013, Dominique Pellé wrote:

You obviously speak better German than me, but isn't the German
ess-zett equivalent to ss rather than sz? I'm curious why /sz.

You got me ;)
Of course esszett is,  despite its name, equivalent to ss and that is
what the standard actually demands (Although the Swiss might think
otherwise). Sorry for the confusion.

regards,
Christian

What do you mean, "the Swiss may think otherwise"? IIUC, in the de_CH standard the eszett is not used, it is always replaced by ss, because the Swiss have no room for it on their trilingual (well, quadrilingual, even) typewriter keyboards. Hence the well-known slur against them:

— Wie trinken die Schweizer Bier?
        ("How do the Swiss drink beer?")
— In Masse.
("massively", where for any other German-speaking country except maybe Liechtenstein it would of course be "in Maße", "in moderation").

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Speak roughly to your little boy,