Charles Peacech wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
> >
> > Axel Bender wrote:
> >
> >> I could probably live with the slowing down if it only affected re=2.
> >> But it also affects re=1 which is not acceptable. The effect is quite
> >> noticeable, 13 to 20 secs that's a lot. I hope that Bram goes into
> >> that...
> >
> > There are no changes to the old regexp engine that would make it slower.
> > Note that you need to set 'regexpengine' before opening a file, syntax
> > items are cached.
> >
> > If you can reproduce slowness with 'regexpengine' set to 1, please let
> > us know how to reproduce that.  Please make sure the context (esp. any
> > plugins, fold settings, etc.) are identical.  Different runtime files
> > also matter a lot.
>
> There is a clear slowdown using regexpengine=0 with v7-3-1088 (slow)
> and v7-3-1087 (faster). The speed difference when paging up/down is
> noticeable enough using the files in the attachment above. I don't
> notice any slowdown with regexpengine=1.

Using zero for 'regexpengine' means automatic selection. Now that the
new engine supports most features it's most often selecting the new
engine, but still not 100%.

I am still figuring out what exactly causes the slowness and finding
ways to make improvements.  Once most of that is done I can make the
automatic selection use the old engine for patterns that it can handle
faster.

It's good if you can help finding bugs in the new engine.  If you can't
live with the slowness, set 'regexpengine' to one.

61. Your best friends know your e-mail address, but neither your phone number
    nor the address where you live.