On 19:07 Mon 08 Jul     , Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On 08/07/13 17:35, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 8, 2013 7:00 PM, "Dimitar DIMITROV" <mitk...@yahoo.fr
> > <mailto:mitk...@yahoo.fr>> wrote:
> >  >
> >  > Resending this as apparently it wasn't clear, hope it is now
> >  >
> >  > Hi, running the latest version of vim (from mercurial) I experience
> > the following weird behaviour:
> >  >
> >  > 1. command /usr/local/bin/vim -nNX -u NONE
> >  > 2. zzzzzzzzzzzz shift
> >  >     explanation: press z and hold for a few seconds
> >  >                        now while pressing z, press also shift
> >  >                        so it results in zzzzzzzzzzzz+shift NOT ZZ or
> > shift+z
> >  > Vim stops
> >
> > Now repeat this in shell and post result here. I am absolutely sure you
> > will see ZZ: it is what I see. If you see this bug your terminal
> > emulator, X11 or whatever authors, but not us: quit when ZZ was received
> > is an expected behavior and generating user input is not vim business,
> > vim only consumes input generated by terminal emulator which in turn
> > receives it from X server which in turn receives it from kernel (and it
> > receives from hardware).
> >
> > Also what do you expect to happen if not vim exit?
>

> I did the experiment, and somehow the result is different in konsole and
> in the Linux (text) console: Let's say I press and hold z, and while
> holding z I press and release Shift.
>
> in konsole:
> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>
> in Linux console (i.e., the Ctrl-Alt-Fn terminal where 1 <= n <= 6)
> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
> (i.e. the string of letters stops as soon as I hit Shift).
>
> Maybe Vim (in an X11 terminal emulator) displays the ZZ (it may deped on
> the 'showcmd' setting) but then Vim exits so fast that you don't have
> time to see it. See ":help ZZ".
>
> And the fact that you start Vim with -X doesn't mean that you aren't
> running under X11, it's just that in that case Vim doesn't try to use
> the special X11 capabilities (such as the clipboard, and the
> client-server feature), it still runs in a terminal emulator and _that
> terminal_ (xterm, konsole, mlterm, gnome-terminal, etc.) does its input
> and output as an X11 GUI, of which Vim has no knowledge.
>
> It is always possible to have ZZ do nothing: in 'nocompatible' mode,
>
>       :map ZZ <Nop>
>
> will do it.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.
> --
> You too can wear a nose mitten.
>
> --
> --
>
> ---

Another way of checking what is going on is to use the -W switch which
will record keys that vim is recieving:

vim -XW /tmp/keys
# do the experiment
cat /tmp/keys
zzzzzzzzZZZ

So ineed vim is getting ZZ from the terminal emulator.
I am not sure why it get's three Z though.  I'd expected to see only two
of them.

Regards,
Marcin