Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

On Jul 14, 2013 9:36 PM, "Tony Mechelynck" <antoine.mechely...@gmail.com <mailto:antoine.mechely...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
>> the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
>> group, namely:
>>
>> DiffOrig
>> Man
>> Ren
>> TOhtml
>> XMLent
>> XMLns
>> bar
>> browseset
>> cmdname
>> comment
>> count
>> dwim
>> emenu*
>> errormsg
>> filename
>> get
>> let@
>> locale
>> mkdir
>> mv
>> nkf
>> quote
>> s@\n@\=\r"
>> star
>> synlist
>> xterm
>>
>> Please check.
>>
>> Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is perhaps
>> not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
>> Why not maintain them by hand?
>>
>> Best,
>>

> Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are commands defined in standard plugins and described in the help. :quote, :bar and :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :| (concatenating several commands on one ex-command-line) and :* ('compatible' equivalent of :@) respectively, due to the fact that Vim translates " | and * to these words before looking up any help subject in the tags file.
>
> These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles, rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process is much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than maintaining the lists by hand.

I would suggest to maintain a list of exceptions in this case thus. And filter out everything that does not match '^\l\+$'.

I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website: http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the help (:TOhtml, etc).

As far as "why not maintain them by hand", I agree with Tony: very error prone. Its easier to remove incorrect ones by filtering. Plus, it'd be extremely tedious.

Thank you for your feedback!
Chip Campbell