On Sep 11, 2013 1:27 PM, "Thomas" <wieneck...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 11 September 2013 00:18, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why do you keep calling it async?
>
> Referring to the introduction to asynchronous programming linked below,
the patch is an almost asynchronous feature, or at least a completition of
the already existing asynchronous features of vim. With all the
"autocmd-events" we already have the posibillity to run code asynchronous.
> Anyway asynchronous doesn't mean threaded, as far as I know and referring
again to the link. That a two different concepts (which you can combine if
you want).

> http://cs.brown.edu/courses/cs168/f12/handouts/async.pdf

Now please show how you can run one sequence of commands interleaved with
the other with this patch. Function that runs with given interval blocks
everything until it completes, same for autocommands. You cannot say you
implement preemptive multitasking if you have to wait for one task to
complete before starting the other. It is not async feature.

You can, of course, do some hacks with saving a state, exiting and
resuming, but you will then be forced to *emulate* preemption without any
support from vim. I used to have some simple emulation even without such
patch.

Note though that I would really like it merged. But not with the current
name.

email to vim_dev+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.