On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:29:18 PM UTC-6, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Daniel Thau wrote:
> > Attached is a patch to add an 'autotextobject' setting which will treat
> > undefined text-objects like quote text objects, using the provided
> > character as bounds.  For example, with this setting if a user enters
> > "di," with the cursor between two commas, the text between the commas
> > will be removed.
>
> The problem is that this only works for characters that are not taken
> yet.  Thus if we add another text-object type the behavior changes.
> It's like reserving all remaining characters to use for this feature.

I disagree that this is a problem. By default, the option introduced by this
patch is off, meaning that unreserved text-object characters still do nothing
unless the user opts into the behavior by explicitly setting an option.

The documentation for the option explicitly says that it only affects potential
objects that are NOT already defined. So basically it is an option that says
"do something useful instead of failing if I type something undefined". It also
explicitly says that future additions to defined text objects will override
this option.

If someone is using this option then they should expect minor changes when new
text objects get introduced.

> I don't think this can be done properly without adding another
> character, thus making the text selection a three-character operation.

Why not? What is the reasoning behind a third character?