On 26/12/13 10:44, François Ingelrest wrote:
Hi all,

I don't know whether this is caused by Vim or Netrw, but here's a way
to crash both:

1. cd /tmp && mkdir foo
2. vim
3. :e foo/
4. rmdir foo && touch foo
5. In Netrw choose .. to go up to /tmp
6. Open foo

Vim crashes at this point with a segmentation fault. Sometimes it will
not crash immediately but something weird definitively happens and you
can't edit the buffer.

This is with Vim 7.4.131 on Debian Wheezy 64 bits (big build) and Netrw v147nNR.

Hm, you're removing the directory you're working on and replacing it by a file of the same name, then asking to follow the hardlink ./.. in it, which you implicitly just removed? Sounds to me like you were asking for trouble, but well…

How to solve? Maybe testing isdirectory() again on every operation on the directory we're editing? Sounds expensive, and maybe applicable only to local directories… Let's see what Dr.Chip will say (when and if he does). Maybe WONTFIX, I don't know.

Oh, and BTW, the latest netrw published as part of Bram's sources is v149 and there is a v150m dated day before yesterday on Dr.Chip's site, at http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/#NETRW

To compile Vim yourself (current version is 7.4.131 but your runtime files seem a little out-of-date) see:

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

and don't forget to remove (I suppose :RmVimball — the netrw package consists of several scripts) any out-of-date netrw versions you might have in 'runtimepath' directories other than $VIMRUNTIME.

This "own-compile" method will of course remove any Debian-specific fixes — or bugs — and it works quite well on 64-bit Linux — I use it.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Have an adequate day.

…and to the above random sig I'm adding: but a merry year-end week and a happy new year.