> From:  Marc Weber
> There are 2-3 event loops - two implementations for vim, and at least one
> gtk for gui (maybe more). The main issue is that when you write
>
> for i in range(1,2000)
>   echo 'x'
>
> vim may arbitrarely stop executing the for loop (eg every X hundered
> iterations) - to look for ctrl-c. The problem when looking for ctrl-c is that
> in
> gtk mode Vim has to run the event loop of gtk - which in turn processes
> resize events, which in turn can trigger arbitrary viml code
> *while* your for loop is still executing. Thus your vim may behave like this
> if
> you're unlucky:
>
> for i in range(1,2000)
>   if (i % 200)
>     run au command resize
>   echo 'x'
>
> Getting this right might require introducing threads - which in turn would
> require rewriting much code.

For me, it is fine just as it is.
Someone resizes window in the middle of the VIML script - not a problem, unless
some innocent animals die.

But yes, VIML has disadvantages, most of them are enlisted in these "why sucks"
pages, and I think introducing more features or optimizing something for better
speed will be a plus....
:)

> But there is more to it: if_* interfaces differs greatly in features.

Not a bug.

You have some if_perl.xs or if_ruby etc, it has some features, but then you
need more features, you implement and document these also. I do not see a
problem.

Doing if_XXXX stuff  uniformly have some benefits, but I doubt there are some
serious advantages there:
I use benefits that if_perl.xs provides to me, and it is absolutely irrelevant
for me whether if_pyhton.c gives me these features or not.

> The most important questions are:
>
>   - how much benefit could happen if we rewrote Vim from scratch?
>     (Eg what about having vim in browser without lvm C to JS terminal
>     emulation)

I don't see any benefit of having VIM in browser,
Yet I do not comprehend on why the restriction "without lvm C to JS", very
interesting stuff IMO

A side note - I do not see real added value in documenting internals.
Like everywhere else - start working on the C code and you will eventually have
an idea what does what. VIM isn't special - compared to similar projects of
similar size.
IMO.

Vadim.