On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:04:26 AM UTC-5, Matteo Cavalleri wrote:
> > > What should we do?  What happens to your sources?
> >
> > Do you not have a clone of the Mercurial repository? What kind of
> > question is this?
>
> I think he's talking about Bram sources, not vim's. I'm not sure we can clone
> a human right now... science needs to advance further.

Thanks, Matteo -- you picked up on my veiled humor there.  The question was
meant to get everyone thinking about how this project works and about what
would happen if Bram were gone.  In the corporate world, a company might take
out a "key man" insurance policy that would provide them with the necessary
resources to recover from the untimely death of an irreplaceable or highly
skilled/specialized person in the company.

It was short and maybe a little flippant-sounding the way I asked it, but I'm
serious, and I hope Bram and everyone else will ponder the question a little.
I am in no way meaning to denigrate anyone here -- it's been Bram's vision,
dedication, and discerning guidance that has made vim the most excellent editor
that it is today.

When I was considering the situation, I too had a vision like what Andre
mentioned -- dozens of forked projects and no clear direction for the average
user or even the empowered one who simply doesn't have the time to evaluate all
of the choices.  Further, I can envision a scenario where someone does take the
helm of the project by nature of his/her leadership skills, yet lacks Bram's
vision and steers us all into the rocks.

As for the assertion that governance by committee does not work, I challenge
you to consider the longevity and the vastness-of-reach in each and every one
of our lives that has come out of organizations like ANSI, ISO, and IEEE.
Consider, also, POSIX:  It's a mix of certain things that were not
standardized, but were essentially de facto standards of a certain epoch, and
other guidelines that were decided upon by committee.  Even vim itself is
mostly compliant with the POSIX vi standard, and effort was clearly made to
document the places where it breaks that standard (vi_diff.txt).

So, yes, barring the possibility of cloning Bram, we should consider how we
might continue to keep vim going as strongly as it is today with him at the
helm.  He himself is in a position to structure the future of the project
beyond his own corporeal involvement, and I merely ask him to consider the
question and the possible scenarios that he could influence now if he wanted to
set such wheels in motion.