Then, how can I get the symbol index (not byte offset) of a match?

There is awesome plugin "PreciseJump":
http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3437 , it gets array of all
symbols of the line, like that:

        let lines_with_markers[l] = split(getline(l), '\zs')

So that here's symbol index is needed, not byte offset. Because of this, it
fails if there's multi-byte chars before the match.

Currently, it's calculated like this:

        let match_start = match(getline(l), a:re, 0, 1)

Please suggest how to get symbol index instead.