On Apr 2, 2014 1:54 AM, "Ben Fritz" <fritzophre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:53:38 AM UTC-5, ZyX wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering why you need any rebasing in the first place? I use
regular mercurial branches or bookmarks and regular "hg merge". If you are
not going to release a series of related patches (which depend on each
other) this approach is far better:

> > 1. You are not losing context in which changes were made.
> >
> > 2. If you do a mistake while dealing with conflict this mistake will be
attached to merge changeset, not to the original change.

> > 3. It is easy to distribute changes. No secrecy, just push to your
public repo. Bitbucked supports or used to support MQ, but I failed to
setup it. Though I did not try hard, just was investigating whether dealing
MQ is worth learning.

> I agree with all this. But Bram refuses to pull directly from other
repositories and then merge. So if I use normal Hg changesets with merging,
I will always have my own personal branches hanging around. Even if I merge
and close the branch with a commit, that merge commit will never be an
ancestor of the commits I pull from Bram. So I will eventually just need to
delete my changesets to remove the dead branch. Additionally, since Bram
won't pull and merge, I need to send changes based off the latest changes
HE has made to make him more likely to accept them.

After you did a merge sending update is trivial (except for a sequence of
patches I mentioned: in this case you either need to actually rebase or
have a sequence of merge commits). Mercurial is also fine with dead
branches hanging around and you can always view only ancestors of a certain
changeset. Absence of upstream merges is not fine, but all attempts to
convince Bram failed so far.

> Either rebasing changesets, or doing a qpop+update+qpush, are easy ways
to do this.

> > 4. You do not need to learn MQ in addition to learning mercurial.
> >
> > Additionally if the phase of changesets is secret you can as well
rebase regular mercurial changesets.

> This is true. I learned MQ before phases were introduced and in general
am not very comfortable in editing history even in secret.

> I view MQ changesets not so much as normal changesets in Hg, but rather a
group of in-progress patches applied on top of an actual repository. In
Vim's case, that repository is for my purposes pretty much read-only. I
don't commit any Vim code changes (on the rare occasions I make them).
Rather I qpush them. When the change appears in the upstream repository as
an official patch, I qpop and forget about my changeset. I know under the
hood this is acutally editing history...but it doesn't FEEL like that's
what I'm doing.

> I understand changeset obsolescence and history editing are intended to
replace MQ to accomplish the same things, however.

If you keep old history you can review what *Bram* has changed in your
patch. You will need to rebase to/merge the changeset just before upstream
inclusion though.

email to vim_dev+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.