Praful wrote:

> On Friday, 30 May 2014 19:31:06 UTC+1, Bram Moolenaar  wrote:
>
> > I wonder if this only applies to the :g command.  Doesn't :%s have the
> >
> > same problem?  And perhaps joining many lines.  Anything that repeatedly
> >
> > puts text in the " register.
>
> I just tried :%s where I substituted something on almost all 200,000
> lines of a file. It did the substitutions in less than a few seconds.
> To make sure I wasn't using Christian's patch, I then tried
> :g/pattern/d and Windows froze!
>
> I tried the :%s on my patched gvim as well and that worked fine too.

I now realize that the :s command does not set a register.  So your
problem most likely is really about setting the clipboard, not something
else.

Perhaps :g and :v are the only commands that fill a register multiple
times?  Well, executing a script does, of course.  And executing from a
register multiple times.  But that's not done with one command.

--
"The amigos also appear to be guilty of not citing the work of others who had
gone before them.  Even worse, they have a chapter about modeling time and