Hi Christian,

On 2014-05-31, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> Hi Gary!
>
> On Fr, 30 Mai 2014, Gary Johnson wrote:
>
> > On 2014-05-30, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > > Hi Praful!

> > [...]
> >
> > > This is a known issue for windows (see :h todo.txt and search for
> > > :g/test/d)
> >
> > I have seen a related problem, if not the same problem, running vim
> > 7.4.283 in an xterm on Fedora 17.
> >
> > While editing a file of about 50k lines, I put the cursor on a line
> > a few tens of lines from the bottom of the file and executed dgg.
> > When I then tried moving the cursor a few lines lower, it moved in
> > response to the first few j commands, then vim locked up for about 5
> > minutes.

[...]

> > > Here is an experimental patch, that resets the clipboard option for :g
> > > command, when there are many matches (>100). Note: I haven't tested it.
> >
> > If this is the same problem, then fixing it for :g/teset/d doesn't
> > address the other cases of deletion such as dgg.
>
> Yes, it wouldn't fix it for your case. Your use case looks really awful.
> Are other applications as slow? I am not sure, we could do anything for
> you. Perhaps it would be possible to disable the clipboard, if it takes
> too long updating it? Why are you setting your clipboard to unnamed, if
> it works so slow?

The speed of applications running on the Linux machine in this setup
varies.  Coworkers have commented on the sluggishness of our
NoMachine configurations.  One suggested a tweak to the NoMachine
settings which helped a lot.  Another is using Xming instead and
says the performance is much better.  I just haven't gotten around
to trying it.

Before this issue with deleting huge blocks of text, the only
speed-related problems I've had with Vim in this setup have been its
response to termresponse strings and the updating of windows in diff
mode.  I haven't seen the termresponse issue in a while and the
tweak to NoMachine seems to have fixed the diff-mode refresh issue.

I hadn't had any problems with the clipboard before this attempt to
delete almost 50k lines.  I seldom delete that much and usually copy
and paste no more than a couple of pages of text.  Any other
slowness due to my use of the clipboard has been negligible.  A
workaround of deleting such large amounts of text to the black hole
register would be OK as long as I remember to specify that register
_before_ starting the deletion.

For most of my work, the benefits of setting the clipboard to
unnamed outweigh the disadvantages.  It allows me to easily copy and
paste between multiple Vim instances, some of them running on Linux
and some running on Windows, without having to prefix each operation
with "* or "+.  I also run autocutsel (see
http://mutelight.org/articles/subtleties-of-the-x-clipboard) so that
anything I copy to the primary selection is automatically copied to
the clipboard and vice versa.

Regards,
Gary