On Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:46:22 AM UTC-5, Paul  Moore wrote:
> On Windows, Vim does not correctly display international characters. To
> demonstrate this, create a file in UTF-8 encoding with the Unicode characters
> \x5000 \x5001 \x5002 in it. These should display as Chinese chacaters.
>
> With stock gvim (I'm using 7.4 with patches to 389) the characters are not
> displayed.

I don't see this problem.

I opened a new Vim, where my .vimrc already sets encoding to utf-8, and the
default file encoding for the first buffer is blank.

I entered unicode characters 5000, 5001, and 5002 which you say are Chinese
characters, by pressing <C-V>u5000 in insert mode, and the same for the other
two. When I set my font to "BatangChe", they look like they could be Chinese
characters to me, so I assume they are, but I do not know Chinese.

I then quit Vim, and opened the file in Notepad. The characters are saved
correctly.

I then re-opened Vim, set my font to BatangChe again, and opened the file
again. The characters are still displayed correctly.

I'm using a self-compiled 7.4.183 on Windows Vista 32-bit, at the moment.