Greetings,
I am totally new to the discussion groups, so i'm sorry in advance if there are
already solutions to my problem. And I was not able to attach screenshots, I
don't know what is the problem, I press "attach a file" and nothing happens.
Tell me please how to do it, then it will be much easier to see what I mean.

I am not sure how to describe my contribution, it is rather a feature request
which should solve a serious Usability issue which I suffer from for a long
time staring in the Vim window (since I write python programs in it quite a
lot) . I used all possible setup options and color setups to push the best out
of the readability in Vim, so now it looks as in attached screenshot
(issue.png).
So the thing is, afaik, there is no option to setup left margin of the text
window, so it is impossible to control the gap between linenumber column ant
text area. And equally, when I hide numbers column, the text literally sticks
to the window border. Especially bad it looks in Windows version of Vim (I use
Courier New font), since the characters somehow stick to the left boundary of
the em
square.
This issue was discussed on Stackoverflow in 2011, here is link:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7893390/how-to-change-the-left-margin-in-gvim
 but still afaik no solution (?), only some weak workarounds or plugins ... So
obviously logical solution would be  introducing an option, something like
"leftmargin" which would just leave empty gap at line beginnings and therefore
solve this issue distinctly. See "solution.png" in attachement to see what I
want to get with it.
It would be perfect if one could get also a dotted line between areas like in
"solution2.png" but I know, it probably contradicts with text-mode nature of
vim.
Predicting the counter-critics, that it will look as if there are spaces at
line beginnings - I am working with Vim+Python only so in my case I always know
where is the left border of my textfile, same as with block text or other code,
so I think there almost no examples where it can cause any problems.

Hope I was clear enough in my intention. Thanks in advance for your comments
and special thanks to developers for such a great text editor!

Mikhail V