Hi Mikhail!

On Sa, 27 Sep 2014, Mikhail V wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am totally new to the discussion groups, so i'm sorry in advance if there
> are already solutions to my problem. And I was not able to attach
> screenshots, I don't know what is the problem, I press "attach a file" and
> nothing happens. Tell me please how to do it, then it will be much easier to
> see what I mean.
>
> I am not sure how to describe my contribution, it is rather a feature request
> which should solve a serious Usability issue which I suffer from for a long
> time staring in the Vim window (since I write python programs in it quite a
> lot) . I used all possible setup options and color setups to push the best
> out of the readability in Vim, so now it looks as in attached screenshot
> (issue.png).
> So the thing is, afaik, there is no option to setup left margin of the text
> window, so it is impossible to control the gap between linenumber column ant
> text area. And equally, when I hide numbers column, the text literally sticks
> to the window border. Especially bad it looks in Windows version of Vim (I
> use Courier New font), since the characters somehow stick to the left
> boundary of the em
> square.
> This issue was discussed on Stackoverflow in 2011, here is link:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7893390/how-to-change-the-left-margin-in-gvim
>  but still afaik no solution (?), only some weak workarounds or plugins ...
> So obviously logical solution would be  introducing an option, something like
> "leftmargin" which would just leave empty gap at line beginnings and
> therefore solve this issue distinctly. See "solution.png" in attachement to
> see what I want to get with it.
> It would be perfect if one could get also a dotted line between areas like in
> "solution2.png" but I know, it probably contradicts with text-mode nature of
> vim.
> Predicting the counter-critics, that it will look as if there are spaces at
> line beginnings - I am working with Vim+Python only so in my case I always
> know where is the left border of my textfile, same as with block text or
> other code, so I think there almost no examples where it can cause any
> problems.
>
> Hope I was clear enough in my intention. Thanks in advance for your comments
> and special thanks to developers for such a great text editor!

I haven't seen any of your screenshots, they might got lost when posting
here. How much space would you like to have? For a single column you
could simply add a dummy sign to your window, but if you want more, your
best bet would probably to add some dummy window to the left of you
actual window (which has the advantage of not being fixed-width, so you
can control the "margin" width).

Best,
Christian
--
Wußten Sie schon...
... daß eine Lachmöwe auch auf einer Heulboje sitzen kann?