On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 08:09:24AM -0400, Peter Aronoff wrote:
> On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 12:53PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Despite all the popularity of github, it doesn't seem to be able to do
> > something as simple as sending a user a message.  Do I need to fork
> > a repostitory and send a pull request just to get someone's attention?
> You can get users' attention by sending them messages--in a manner of
> speaking. If you write a note, in a commit message or a comment on any
> issue, pull request or commit comment on the website, and include a user's
> name with an @ in front of it, e.g. @telemachus (my username), then that
> user will see it through the web interface.

and anyway why want to send a message through the platform, whereas all
commits have emails, which makes it easy to directly contact the author
of an user. Many people contacted me that way through github, so it
should be easy enough.

BTW, to close the discussion about github vs bitbucket, why not create
both a github git repo and a bitbucket merc repo, and have a hook that
makes sure both are kept in sync? All in all the real master repo will
be wherever Bram is committing to, but the other repo could be a mirror
of that.

And for user contributions, the pull requests from git could be synced
as new branches on the merc repo on bitbucket (if that's what Bram
chooses), in a way that is convenient enough for Bram to review and
decide to merge or not.

That way, we please everyone, vim uses the two best source control
technologies, and vim does not rely on a single hosting provider for
the sources, tacking advantage of the *DISTRIBUTED* aspect of the DVCS.

My 2 cents,

--
Guyzmo