> We can't forget either that a MAJOR part of the Vim plugin ecosystem lives
> on Github already.

I don't know why people keep bringing this up.  It's (a) not even clear
that it is true, and (b) even if it is true, it strikes me as completely
irrelevant to the question of where to host vim.  Who cares where the
plugins are?  Is one's day going to be made more difficult because one had
to type in a non-github URL to go fetch a plugin?  It's not as if there
need to be PRs between a plugin repo and the Vim repo.

On 03/27/2015 12:00, Ben Fritz wrote:

> On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 1:21:48 PM UTC-5, James McCoy wrote:
>
>> Why should this be different than any other open source project?  If
>> you want to contribute, you need to learn the tools that are being
>> used. When tools change, then something different needs to be learned.
>> It's not up to the project to accommodate every user's individual
>> desires.
>>

> Because so far the ONLY reason I've seen for moving to git AT ALL is "it
> makes the git users happy." Why are the git users more important than
> the Mercurial users?

Indeed, we haven't even seen *that* reason.  All we've seen is "it makes
the vocal git users happy".  I don't know why people keep saying "the
majority of vim users prefer git/github".  This has in no way been
established.  The "poll" this thread created shouldn't be assumed to be a
representative sample; it gets self-selected respondants, particularly of
two types: people who *really* get excited about git/github, and
curmudgeons who don't feel like changing without a compelling reason.  For
all we know, the github-preferrers are merely a loud minority.  For all we
know, the curmudgeons are a loud minority.  People need to stop taking it
for granted that we know the majority of Vim users who clone repos want Vim
to go to github.

-Manny