> Indeed, we haven't even seen *that* reason.  All we've seen is "it makes the
> vocal git users happy".  I don't know why people keep saying "the majority of
> vim users prefer git/github".  This has in no way been established.  The
> "poll" this thread created shouldn't be assumed to be a representative
> sample; it gets self-selected respondants, particularly of two types: people
> who *really* get excited about git/github, and curmudgeons who don't feel
> like changing without a compelling reason.  For all we know, the
> github-preferrers are merely a loud minority.  For all we know, the
> curmudgeons are a loud minority.  People need to stop taking it for granted
> that we know the majority of Vim users who clone repos want Vim to go to
> github.
>

> -Manny

Hey guys,
I'm strongly in favor of switching to github and using git. It will bring huge
benefits to the project in terms of "eyeballs" looking at the source code,
reporting bugs and getting involved in smaller tasks like testing & trying out
new code etc.

Here's a couple objective arguments that back these statements:
- Comparison of trends for git vs mercurial:
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=git%2C%20mercurial&cmpt=q&tz=

- Comparison of github vs bitbucket trends:
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=github%2C%20bitbucket&cmpt=q&tz=

- lastly, it has been mentioned a couple times vim plugin community is already
on github. The objective statement that proves this: github currently has
42,636 vim related repositories, bitbucket has only 1652 (this is based on a
simple search for "vim" on both github and bitbucket).