On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Carlo Baldassi <carlobalda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, I have some code[1] which uses the matchit.vim plugin, which:
> 1) doesn't use keepjumps internally (this may be seen as a plugin bug, and I
> sent a patch[2] to the author to do that).
> 2) calls m' on the starting position before jumping to its destination[3].
> This is not a bug and it's currently unavoidable.
>
> My code calls "normal %" in the middle of some processing, and this
> inevitably pollutes the jump list, so that using CTRL-O jumps to irrelevant
> places in the file. Also, my code in turn sets jumps, and people might want
> to use it without that being the case. You get the idea.

I have wanted this too, in particular the surround.vim plugin adds
unwanted jumps.

But why can't keepjumps be made recursive instead?

> I know I should have tried not to introduce new options ;) but it seems to me
> that having an option to lock the jump list (and restoring it afterwards) is
> the simplest way

These one-off commands ("keepjumps", "lockjumps", etc, etc) are
extremely disappointing to me. Why can't there be, instead, a general
mechanism to save/restore these lists? Similar to
winsaveview()/winrestview(), except, you know--not a band-aid
solution. A *general* solution.

Justin M. Keyes