> When I update the statusline from a python thread forked from main, the
> update gets registered by vim but is shown only after take an action, a
> movement using keys, or a mouse scroll.
>
> Python code here if it helps: http://sprunge.us/LCfM  (Open in vim followed
> by :pyfile %)
>
> Briefly: Spawn threads, each threads sleeps for a while and then updates the
> statusline. Don't do anything and you'll never notice the update. Keep j/k
> pressed and all updates show fine.
>
> So my question is: Is there a way in which I can make the status updates
> immediate, without requiring any user action?

Vim is not thread-safe. You *must not* update statusline in another
thread, especially doing this using `set statusline` command (there is
also a variant where you use `vim.options` and/or {window}.options
({window}: object from vim.windows or vim.current.window)). Most
likely after some time this code is running you will get a crash
because Vim is using many globals (using .options will touch much less
amount of globals compared to vim.command('set statusline=' …)).

Another bad idea was using Python code using :pyfile. This command
pushes all variables/functions defined in the sourced file into global
namespace so with big amount of plugins that use :pyfile you will
definitely run into problems.