>> When I update the statusline from a python thread forked from main, the
>> update gets registered by vim but is shown only after take an action, a
>> movement using keys, or a mouse scroll.
>>
>> Python code here if it helps: http://sprunge.us/LCfM  (Open in vim followed
>> by :pyfile %)
>>
>> Briefly: Spawn threads, each threads sleeps for a while and then updates the
>> statusline. Don't do anything and you'll never notice the update. Keep j/k
>> pressed and all updates show fine.
>>
>> So my question is: Is there a way in which I can make the status updates
>> immediate, without requiring any user action?
>
> Vim is not thread-safe. You *must not* update statusline in another
> thread, especially doing this using `set statusline` command (there is
> also a variant where you use `vim.options` and/or {window}.options
> ({window}: object from vim.windows or vim.current.window)). Most
> likely after some time this code is running you will get a crash
> because Vim is using many globals (using .options will touch much less
> amount of globals compared to vim.command('set statusline=' …)).

If you need such code to work then use NeoVim. It is still not
thread-safe, but NeoVim Python bindings run in another process and
communicate via sockets and time of your code execution is controlled
by NeoVim receiving messages and not Python sending them. Here you may
need :redrawstatus to force statusline redraw, though I thought that
setting &statusline should already cause a redraw.