On 09/09/15 20:42, Christian Brabandt wrote:
On Mi, 09 Sep 2015, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

Because it is one of those changes that most likely will break several
things.  I did add some similar features, and we are still fixing bugs
for them.  E.g. 'relativenumber' and 'breakindent'.
I remember differently.

There were no bugs with 'relativenumber'. There were some problems with
using global/local settings, and also a fix to allow number and
relativenumber together, but no bug IIRC.

Same for breakindent. There were some bugs (and fixes) that resulted
from last minute changes (caching the indent) and some parts of the
indenting code did not expect a larger indent.

Now, if you'd have said conceal...

Anyhow, to stop being silly and being serious again, here is my opinion
on the vartabs feature:

I haven't heard of any problems with the vartabs feature and I am
willing to fix any problems, that would occur, if that feature would be
merged. A test is included as well, I even created a second one for
testing the breakindent and vartabs feature. Could we at least consider
merging this for an upcoming 7.5 release?

Best,
Christian
At the time I first wrote this patch I was out of work and was able to spend a couple of months testing it, including extensive feedback from the community, so at that time it was very reliable and if I recall correctly nobody found any issues with it. I'm sure that the other people who have worked on it have taken equal care to keep it working.

It makes no sense to reject it because it will "most likely break several things". It doesn't modify the underlying buffer, and it doesn't do anything at all unless the user explicitly activates it. It's not a dangerous, potentially data-destroying change. It's a display feature.

On top of that, this has been kicking around since the early days of Vim 7.2. Many, many features have been added since then, some of which have actually caused crashes and data loss. We've had things like a new regex engine, new language interfaces and an abundance of new commands and settings, many of which have had potential for corruption of the edit buffer and all of which have been considered acceptable in spite of that risk. The variable tabstops patch was one of the most desired features on the list of features that users wanted back in 2007 or so - that's why I chose it as my contribution to the community - and it's far safer than many of the features added since then.

--
Matthew Winn