On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Pavol Juhas <pavol.ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know what is the "secret" phase in Mercurial.  It is however
possible to disable "git push" for some specific branch, for example:

Phases in Mercurial apply to a changeset. There are three: "Draft",
"Public", and "Secret". The Secret phase prevents that changeset (and all
its descendants) from being pushed. Changesets are created in "Draft" and
automatically move to "Public" if you push them to another repository.
Mercurial's history-editing commands such as rebase will refuse to work on
"Public" changesets, to prevent you from messing with history other people
may have pulled already.

> git checkout -b local origin/master
> git config branch.local.pushremote /dev/null
>
> Branch "local" is now the active branch, and "git pull" would update it
with a new stuff from the master branch on origin.  "git push" would
however not work, because it is set to use /dev/null as its destination.
 (You can still push from the "local" branch, but will need to give it an
explicit destination.)

Nice! I'll check that out sometime. I'm very slowly coming up to speed on
git. I think I'm at a point where I no longer *hate* using it.

I still feel like it gets in my way and requires my full attention to use,
though.