On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 6:19:55 PM UTC+13, James McCoy wrote:

(I much appreciate your response, and would like to forestall any impression
otherwise that might be construed from the grumpy terseness of my remarks.  My
grumpiness laments my own failings with git.)

> runtime/doc/tags really shouldn't be part of the repository.  It's a
> generated file.  Bram didn't agree last time this was brought up.

It is generated as part of "make install".  I can imagine needing it for
testing before doing a make install.

> That being said, simply deleting the file from disk isn't going to help
> because that's just another type of uncommitted modification to a file
> that Git is versioning.

Yup, learned that one the hard way.

> Even if you were to commit the delete, then
> you'll just have to merge a conflict (you deleted it and Bram changed
> it) any time the tags file is regenerated by Bram.

Ditto.

> The simplest thing to do would be to reset the tags file to its
> versioned state before pulling in the latest changes from Bram.
>
>   $ git checkout runtime/doc/tags

I just learned about git checkout recently.  This is a nuisance in that I have
to do it every time.

Regards, John Little