Nicola wrote:

> On 2016-07-24 13:02:56 +0000, Bram Moolenaar said:
>
> > Vim has always been conservative about the default option values.
> > Without any .vimrc the default is 'compatible'.  That's nice for people
> > who rely on the old Vi.  But how many of these still exist?  I expect
> > nearly all Vim users to want 'nocompatible', thus create a .vimrc ASAP.
> >
> > What has stopped me from changing this is the unexpected change.  Many
> > users will notice that Vim suddenly behaves differently.  Some may be
> > upset.  The release of Vim 8.0 might be the best point in time to do
> > this.  If we do this.
>
> Talking as someone who has been using Vim only for a couple of years and
> who does not work with systems more than a decade old, I would welcome
> such changes. And a major release obviously provides the best opportunity
> for introducing backward-incompatible changes.
>
> I agree with the defaults you are proposing. How about the following?
>
> 1) nnoremap Y y$

Please, this was not an invitation for everybody to mention their
favorite adjustments.  In this case it's clear that most people,
including myself, expect Y to yank the current line.  Changing this is
clearly a personal preference, not something that will help all users.

> 2) Make UTF8 the default encoding.

That is something that could break things in weird ways.  Vim already
automatically sets 'encoding' to utf-8 in situations where it makes
sense.

> > What we can probably always do:
> >
> >   " In many terminal emulators the mouse works just fine, thus enable it.
> >   if has('mouse')
> >     set mouse=a
> >   endif
>
> I would also set ttymouse=sgr when possible (but I do not know all the
> implications).

This already happens when the required xterm version is detected.

--
       [Autumn changed into Winter ... Winter changed into Spring ...  Spring
       changed back into Autumn and Autumn gave Winter and Spring a miss and