On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Manuel Ortega <mannyvim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Probably not:
>>
>>   " these two leave files behind
>>   set backup
>>   set undofile
>>
>>   " may conflict with a user mapping
>>   inoremap <C-U> <C-G>u<C-U>
>>
>>   " hard to revert
>>   if has('syntax') && has('eval')
>>     packadd matchit
>>   endif
>>
>> Comments?
>>

> Definitely not!  Especially "matchit", since it's hard to reverse.  I
> don't want that thing.  &undofile will leave unexpected litter around,
> which is ban enough; but since the litter will start with dots it will
> unintentionally wind up making it into tarballs because people will forget
> that such files are lurking.  Also, the "backup" related things will mess
> up "creation date" in mac OS depending on how they're configured.
> Currently the creation date is preserved on macOS by Vim's default settings.

Scratch what I said about creation-date on macOS.  By default that isn't
preserved.  (I mistakenly thought it was because setting &bkc will preserve
it, and the docs for &bkc say that it is on by default for "unix".
Apparently OS X doesn't count as "unix", because on OS X &bkc is set to
"auto".  Probably the docs should be corrected here.)

But add that setting &backup will leave litter around on the filesystem.
Please don't leave unexpected litter around on the filesystem.   Among
other things, such backup files are bound to unintentionally get captured
in tarballs.

-Manny