On 2016-09-15, 12:33 GMT, manuelschiller.pimail via vim_dev wrote:
> Hi Matěj, Christian,
>
> I've added the value which is equivalent to the previous patch, i.e.
>
> " this should keep character 0-31 (control characters), and
> " [0-9A-Za-z] flowing through the glyph cache, and the rest
> " < 128 will bypass it
> let g:gtk_nocache=[0x00000000, 0xfc00ffff, 0xf8000001, 0x78000001]

I had to make some typo or something, because when copying this
line into my ~/.vimrc I got it working as before. Thank you!

> About the criticism that this is not the most user-friendly
> option to set: That's a very valid point. My reasoning was
> thus:

That was not my problem. Read
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000059.html

    # Every time you provide an option, you're asking the user
    # to make a decision.

I would even say, “you force the user to make decision”. And he
will be grumpy for that. You should apologize every time you
force user to do anything else than why he started to use your
program in the first place.

Which is why I said, that if you need this during the
development, then I don't care. However, if normal user ever
sees it, she will get fits and she would be right.

> - The "user-facing part" depends very much on what people
> would like to have.

“Nothing” is the only possible answer, I think.

> That said, I'm very happy for suggestions (or patches), and
> will try to have a draft ready soonish when suggestions do
> trickle in. :)

Thank you very much for your work, despite my criticism.

Matěj

--
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mc...@ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Quod fuimus, estis; quod sumus, vos eritis.